Tips for healthy eyes
- Have your eyes tested regularly. D&A eye tests are extremely thorough and can pick up eye conditions and other health problems.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. Broccoli, spinach, sweetcorn, orange and yellow peppers, kiwi fruits, oranges and mangoes are all great sources of the substances lutein and zeaxanthin, which may help protect against some eye conditions. If your busy lifestyle means your diet isn't always as healthy as you'd like it to be, ask about eye-health supplements next time you're in D&A.
- Protect your eyes from the sun. Over-exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays can cause a number of problems, including cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. In sunny weather, always wear sunglasses or tinted lenses that carry the UV400 mark.
- Stop smoking. Smokers are up to three times more likely to develop cataracts than non-smokers - another good reason to quit.
- Take short, frequent breaks from the computer to prevent eyestrain and tiredness. Even if you don't get up, an 'eye break' - when you look away from the screen and focus on objects at varying distances will help.
- If you play a lot of sport, buy protective sports goggles to shield your eyes. This is especially important if you're keen on racquet sports; squash is the main cause of serious eye injuries. You'll find an excellent range of prescription sportswear at D&A.
- Eye injuries caused by caused by DIY at home are common. Always wear safety goggles that carry the BS EN 166 safety mark to avoid injuries caused by flying wood chips or metal shards. If your job requires you to wear protective eyewear (your employer should provide it), never go without. At D&A, our Vision Care Scheme helps employers fulfil their Health & Safety obligations.
- If you get dust or grit in your eye, don't rub it. Pull the upper eyelid down over the lower lid and blink frequently to help the lower lashes and tears sweep and wash away the foreign object. If you have difficulty, visit your local D&A Optometrist for help.
- If you wear contact lenses, regular aftercare check-ups are vital to ensure your lenses remain comfortable and your eyes stay healthy. At D&A, our Contact Lenses By Post service includes unlimited aftercare.
- If you notice any changes in your vision, pain in or around your eyes or if you keep getting headaches, book an appointment to see an Optometrist at D&A.
You are currently viewing this page without a stylesheet. The following options to change font-sizes and themes ONLY work when viewing this site with style-sheeting enabled.
Select a stylesheet: